Gisburn R1 – postponed till 18th March

NewsPosted on 28th February 2018

We have postponed round 1 due to storm Emma - new date is Sunday 18th March; thats in 2 weeks time.

Many reasons for this choice, but the big ones 2 are

Marshal Welfare – windchill is very low and we are not prepared to put marshals at risk; we value our volunteers highly and want to look after them properly. The windchill is also an issue for racers, especially if there is a stage hold and they have to wait around. I was up there today and it was lovely, but there were areas that you could just not stand in for longer than 15 mins.

Travel – the roads around the forest are bad, and I’m not convinced its good to ask 350 people to travel there early on a Sunday morning. There will be an accident or somebody getting rear-ended on untreated roads. We did get a farmer available to grit the final section, but we cant grit everywhere. Some pictures of the main way in for most people (Copy Nook to the forest) are posted below and it was bad today.

Timing – we have taken a call now rather than wait as we incur fewer cancellation costs, and it gives the racers time to plan. We didn’t feel it was right to wait till Friday or Saturday and leave racers or marshals wondering if the event would be cancelled.

We have also been on the phone with the Welsh Gravity Enduro Team – they are pulling their Afan event for the exact same reasons. Its the right call.

The road to the forest

The road to the forest

The road to the forest

The road to the forest

So what about my entry?

All entries will be swapped to the new date, that should be done by Thursday afternoon

If you can make it, you don’t need to do anything your in.

If you cant make the event please see the pinned Facebook post for swapping entries, and with plenty of demand selling on your entry without financial loss should not be a problem. We’ll get the post up as soon as the entries are swapped to the new event.

How to transfer an entry
Instructions for this are in our FAQ


We are extending the right to cancel, if you just want a refund, (minus the admin fee) just ask anytime in the next week.

Please understand this decision was not taken lightly, and has financial and organisational hurdles for us to overcome, but it is the right call. I hope you all understand and find our actions are appropriate and safe.

Gisburn Forest